Tuesday, July 16, 2024

What 24k, 22k, 18k, and 14k Mean Of Gold Purity Levels

Gold has always been a symbol of wealth and prosperity, especially in India where it plays a significant role in cultural and traditional events. When buying gold, understanding the different purity levels is essential. Gold purity is measured in karats, which can be confusing for many. In this blog, we will explain what 24k, 22k, 18k, and 14k gold mean, how to check gold purity, and the importance of a gold hallmark check online.

Understanding gold purity

Gold purity is measured in karats (k), with pure gold being 24 karats. The karat number indicates the proportion of gold mixed with other metals. The higher the karat number, the purer the gold.

 24k gold

  • Purest form: 24k gold is 99.9% pure, meaning it contains almost no other metals.
  • Soft and malleable: Due to its purity, 24k gold is very soft and can be easily scratched or bent. This makes it less suitable for jewellery that is worn daily.
  • Bright yellow colour: 24k gold has a distinct, bright yellow colour that is easily recognisable.
  • Uses: It is primarily used in investment products like gold bars and coins, and in certain types of high-end jewellery and decorative items.

 22k gold

  • High purity: 22k gold is 91.6% pure, with the remaining 8.4% consisting of other metals like silver, zinc, nickel, or copper.
  • Durability: The addition of other metals makes 22k gold more durable than 24k gold, making it suitable for jewellery that can withstand everyday wear.
  • Colour: It retains a rich yellow colour, similar to 24k gold but slightly less intense.
  • Uses: 22k gold is commonly used in making jewellery, especially in Indian bridal collections and other traditional ornaments.

 18k gold

  • Moderate purity: 18k gold is 75% pure, with 25% made up of other metals.
  • Balanced properties: It offers a good balance between purity and strength. The added metals enhance its durability, making it more resistant to wear and tear.
  • Colour: 18k gold has a slightly lighter yellow colour compared to 22k and 24k gold. It is also available in various shades like white gold and rose gold, depending on the alloy metals used.
  • Uses: It is widely used in fine jewellery, including rings, bracelets, and watches.

 14k gold

  • Lower purity: 14k gold contains 58.3% pure gold, with the remaining 41.7% made up of other metals.
  • High durability: The lower gold content makes 14k gold highly durable and suitable for everyday wear.
  • Colour: It has a paler yellow colour than higher karat golds and is available in different shades based on the alloy metals.
  • Uses: It is popular in making affordable jewellery, engagement rings, and pieces that require intricate designs due to its strength.

How to check gold purity

Knowing the purity of the gold you are buying is crucial. Here are some ways to check gold purity:

 Hallmarking

BIS hallmark: In India, the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) hallmark certifies the purity of gold. A BIS hallmark includes the BIS logo, the purity in karats, the jeweller’s identification mark, and the hallmarking centre’s mark.

Importance: Hallmarking ensures that you get the purity you pay for. Always look for the BIS hallmark when buying gold jewellery.

Karat meter

Electronic device: A karat meter is an electronic device used to measure the purity of gold accurately.

Usage: Many jewellers have karat meters in their stores. You can request a karat meter test to verify the purity of the gold you intend to purchase.

Gold hallmark check online

Online verification: You can also verify the details of your gold hallmark check online through the BIS website or mobile apps designed for this purpose.

Steps to check: Visit the BIS website, enter the hallmark number found on your jewellery, and check the authenticity and purity of the gold. This step ensures transparency and trust in your purchase.

Importance of gold purity

Understanding gold purity and verifying it through hallmarking or online checks is vital for several reasons:

  • Value for money: Ensuring the gold’s purity helps you get value for your money, especially since gold is a significant investment.
  • Resale value: Pure gold has a higher resale value. Knowing the purity ensures you can sell your gold at the right price.
  • Quality assurance: Hallmarked gold guarantees that the jewellery meets the quality standards set by the BIS.
  • Avoiding fraud: Verifying purity helps protect against fraud and ensures you are not overcharged for lower-quality gold.

Understanding the different levels of gold purity—24k, 22k, 18k, and 14k—is essential when purchasing gold. Each level has its unique characteristics, uses, and benefits. Verifying the purity through hallmarking and online checks ensures you get the best value for your investment. By keeping these tips in mind, you can make informed decisions and enjoy the beauty and value of gold jewellery with confidence.

Gold, in its various forms, continues to be a cherished asset. Whether for investment or adornment, knowing the purity of your gold ensures you make the right choice for your needs.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles